When someone gets sober, it is often difficult to imagine how to have fun without alcohol.
But there is a big, wide world out there and many enjoyable things to explore and do. The best part is remembering the experience and not waking up with a hangover afterward. If you’re returning to the dating world and want to plan dates that do not involve alcohol or drugs, here are a few ideas:
1. Go to a Local Fair: A local fair or carnival is a good place for couples to have fun. A Ferris wheel is a great place to be alone and learn about each other. Sharing food, enjoying carnival games, and winning prizes is a wonderful way to have a good time without drinking.
2. Have a Picnic: If you pack your bags and go to a local park, you can bond over a lunch by a river or a lake. If you bring a Frisbee and a radio, you can jam out and play catch with no alcohol needed. It’s a lot cheaper and more fun to create memories that will last forever than to forget everything the next morning.
3. Take a Class: Find a common subject that you’re both interested in. It can be cooking, art, or yoga classes, as long as you both agree on it. This is an awesome way to spend quality time with with your date.
4. Sing Karaoke: Even though karaoke may seem better while under the influence, it can still be a fun way to spend your time. You could sing a duet, sing something not in your range, or sing your favorite tune. Singing is one of the best ways to relieve stress. It’s a good way to get to know each other more, to be vulnerable with each other, and get some laughs.
5. Play Board Games: Whether it’s playing a game of Scrabble, a long game of Monopoly, or learning to play chess together, games are fun and alcohol free.
6. Sports: Sports such as tennis, volleyball, soccer, and badminton are all exciting ways to spend your afternoon. If you are both extremely competitive, you could try a double date so you can play on a team with your date.
7. Take a City Tour: Taking a tour of a city is not only a great way to get to know the city more, but it is also a great way to start new conversations and find more places to go on dates.
8. Spend time Outdoors: Outdoor activities include hikes, walks in the park, bike riding, exploring unknown places, or going canoeing. Try something that requires teamwork and that also allows you to be alone with your date. Being alone on a canoe in the middle of a river can be very romantic, so take some pictures and make some memories!
9. Play Truth or Dare: Truth or dare is a fun way to get to know each other. It can also lead to some vulnerable moments that can draw you closer together.
10. Watch a Sunsets: If you drive to a hill or an open field, you can spend your night gazing at the sunrise and/or moon and stars with your date. Nothing is more romantic then looking at the stars or clouds and trying to make pictures out of them. You can bring along some of your favorite snacks and spend your whole night watching the world spin.
Once we put down the drug and/or drink and get past the fear, the possibilities of having real enjoyment are endless.