We are accepting new admissions but have implemented additional pre-screening procedures to ensure the health and safety of everyone at Mountain Laurel Recovery Center. **At this time, all family visitation has been suspended until further notice.**

Mountain Laurel Recovery Center is closely monitoring all coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and is following suggested best practices from the CDC to prevent the spread of the virus. For more information, please click here.

If a child grows up in a family where drugs and or alcohol are abused, they are at high risk for also abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

cycle addiction generations - family photos - mountain laurel recovery center

Genetics contribute to 50%-60% of the risk for addiction, with environmental circumstances making up the other 40%-50% of risk. When addiction afflicts several generations in someone’s family, they may feel helpless against it, as if becoming addicted is “in their blood.” While addiction has genetic influences, no one is a helpless victim. Addiction is a brain disease; when a drug is abused, it changes patterns in the brain. People with addiction in their family tree are more likely to develop this disease if they experiment with drugs and/or alcohol. This is similar to someone with diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease in their family; if they consume a lot of salt, sugar, and processed foods and lead a sedentary lifestyle, they have a higher chance than most of developing the disease. Everyone has the ability to make healthy lifestyle choices.

Heredity is not fully to blame; environmental circumstances play a huge part in addiction.

Children who grow up in difficult home situations are more likely to develop addiction later in life, and adults who suffer mental health disorders like depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder are also more at risk.

No matter the circumstances or genetic history, we do not have to be ruled by addiction. Getting to the bottom of your feelings and learning new coping skills is what is taught in drug treatment centers and 12-step programs. Your destiny is in your own hands; take control of it now!

If you or someone you love is suffering from addiction, help is right around the corner. Please contact us today at (888) 909-7989. We can help.