Holistic Health & Therapy
Holistic therapy can be an effective part of a treatment program for addiction. It involves treating the person’s body, mind, and spirit in order to promote whole-person healing. For example, massage and acupuncture would be considered holistic therapies because they address physical issues in a way that also relaxes and heals the mind and spirit.
Holistic therapy is a powerful complement to traditional therapy for those suffering from addiction, mental health disorders, stress, and trauma. Many recovery centers incorporate holistic therapy into their treatment programs to treat substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Types of Holistic Therapy
The American Holistic Health Association (AHHA) encourages using holistic health as a tool for wellness. AHHA notes that holistic health can balance a person physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It can be used to establish healthy relationships with those around you and to help you make lifestyle choices that promote wellness.
Holistic therapy uses a combined approach to treatment and includes a variety of techniques, many of which focus on natural alternatives to traditional medicine. Depending on the treatment center, holistic therapy options may vary. Not every recovery center offers holistic therapy as part of their treatment programs. Some centers have their own unique approach and tailor programs to meet the needs of their residents.
Some types of holistic therapy that may be combined with traditional treatments may include:
- Mindfulness. Mindfulness focuses on living in the moment. It can be used to help a person relax and to handle cravings for drugs or alcohol when they occur. Being mindful can also help a person learn to manage overwhelming thoughts or emotions.
- Meditation. When you meditate, you focus on your breathing pattern and practice detaching from the thoughts that arise. This technique is a helpful coping tool that can be used by anyone. Meditation can decrease stress, help with depression and anxiety, and improve concentration.
- Yoga. Yoga focuses on the person’s mind, body and spirit. It can help with quieting the mind, expanding the breath, and strengthening the body. Yoga can teach you to be less impulsive and can help keep your mind clear and focused on your recovery.
- Healthy lifestyle habits. Practicing good nutrition and getting regular exercise are essential to a healthy body. When you nourish and take proper care of your body, it can improve your mood, reduce cravings for drugs or alcohol, boost your energy, and improve your overall health. In addition, exercise can help improve your sleep, reduce boredom, and boost your self-esteem.
- Massage. Massage can not only help with physical pain, but can also help improve emotional health by reducing stress in the body. When your body is able to relax, it can calm your mind and heal.
- Music or art therapy. Music and art can be used to help a person express themselves. If you have trouble communicating your thoughts and feelings, art or music can be a way to express yourself in a less threatening way. This form of therapy can assist in identifying underlying issues that may drive an addiction and be an obstacle in the recovery process.
Benefits of Holistic Therapy
Holistic therapy has benefits for those in recovery since it focuses on healing the person as a whole. Holistic therapy can:
- Promote self-care
- Relieve pain
- Reduce stress
- Reduce cravings
- Improve concentration
- Relieve symptoms of withdrawal
- Reduce depression and anxiety
Are You Looking for a Pennsylvania Recovery Center?
Mountain Laurel Recovery Center is located in Pennsylvania on over 24 serene acres and is ideal for those who want to focus on a holistic recovery. Our recovery center is staffed with addiction specialists who assist residents with an individualized treatment approach. We use a variety of tools to help promote personal growth, improve relationships, and strengthen personal identity throughout the recovery process. We incorporate exercise, meditation, and therapeutic intervention to create a treatment plan that will meet your specific needs. To find out more about the programs and services we have to offer, contact us today!