Holistic therapy has been used for ages in the East and is has become more popular in the West in the past few decades.
Holistic therapy is a form of healing that considers the person as a whole, treating the body, mind, emotions, and spirit. A holistic doctor uses all forms of healthcare. For example, if you go to a holistic doctor for stomach problems, the doctor questions everything to get to the root of the problem. You are not simply sent home with a prescription, although they are not against using medication when necessary. They will see if the stomach problem may be caused by nerves or stress. Perhaps along with a prescription to calm the stomach, change of diet or meditation may be ordered to decrease levels of stress and toxins.
Drug and alcohol abuse cause damage to the person is all of these aspects: emotionally, physically, spiritually, socially, and mentally. Good drug treatment facilities incorporate traditional treatments such as around the clock medically assisted detox, individual counseling, and group meetings along with holistic therapy. Holistic addiction recovery treatment works because the focus is on the person as a whole and treatment is individualized to the individual’s specific needs.
Holistic therapy uses various methods to help a person become balanced and ‘whole’ again.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse states, “Effective treatment programs typically incorporate many components, each directed to a particular aspect of the illness and its consequences. Addiction treatment must help the individual stop using drugs, maintain a drug-free lifestyle, and achieve productive functioning in the family, at work, and in society. Because addiction is typically a chronic disease, people cannot simply stop using drugs for a few days and be cured. Most patients require long-term or repeated episodes of care to achieve the ultimate goal of sustained abstinence and recovery of their lives.”
Some of the principles of effective treatment are listed as such:
- No single treatment is appropriate for everyone.
- Effective treatment attends to multiple needs of the individual, not just his or her drug abuse.
- An individual’s treatment and service plan must be assessed continually and modified as necessary to ensure it meets his or her changing needs.
- Medication and behavioral therapy, especially when combined, are important elements of an overall therapeutic process that often begins with detox, followed by treatment and therapy.
Incorporating holistic methods of healing help the individual to identify their triggers, cope with cravings, and find alternatives to drug abuse.
Some common therapies used in residential drug treatment centers that patients can learn as coping mechanisms for the rest of their life are:
- Exercise therapy– This includes any form of getting the body moving: aerobics, swimming, walking, running, weight lifting, hiking, biking, etc.
- Art therapy – Drawing, painting, and making things with our hands not only quiets the mind, but is also a great stress reliever.
- Meditation– It is a proven fact that meditating lowers stress levels. Learning breathing exercises and other ways to meditate may be all one needs to cope with a craving.
- Acupuncture – Fine needles are inserted are certain points to stimulate and regulate the flow of energy in the body to create a healthy balance.
- Massage therapy – Getting a great massage helps to heal the body by loosening muscles that are stiff and tight due to stress.
- Aromatherapy – Aromatherapy is the use of the sense of smell to create balance in the body. Candles, incense, and essential oils may be used to produce certain aromas adjusted to individual needs for achieving balance. There are countless scents to choose from that produce effective results in stimulating, calming, and refreshing the mind and emotions.
- Reiki – Reiki is commonly used to treat emotional and mental distress as well as chronic physical pain.
If you are looking for a drug rehabilitation center for yourself or a loved one, be sure to look into their treatment plan. One that teaches and incorporates holistic therapy will give you or your loved one a better chance of successful long term sobriety.